We all agree – as soon as the temperature rises above 25 degrees outside, there is nothing better than a delicious ice cream that melts in your tongue. All dog owners would definitely agree – what we like is also what our furry friends in most cases really like. While some ice cream parlors in the larger cities already offer special types for dogs, ice cream is unfortunately unsuitable and even dangerous for people with fur-noses. Whether homemade dog biscuits or a dog biscuit – the possibilities to pamper our animal housemates with something delicious seem endless. In today’s article we explain how to make healthy and delicious ice cream for dogs yourself! And the best thing? All recipes are made from natural ingredients and you can also treat yourself to a portion!
Can dogs eat ice cream?
Since the dogs regulate their body temperature poorly and can only give off part of the excess heat through the tongue, cooling down in the heat is particularly important. In midsummer, more and more dog owners ask themselves whether their dog is allowed to eat ice cream or whether it would only harm him. Although a small amount will not have such dire consequences, ice cream is in principle not something you should share with your four-legged friend. As you know, ice cream consists mainly of milk, sugar, cream and sweeteners. Some dogs digest milk poorly, and consuming dairy products can cause constipation, vomiting, diarrhea, and upset stomach. Sugar is also not for pets and can lead to obesity. Chocolate ice cream and sweeteners such as xylitol are even toxic and are absolutely taboo for dogs. It is therefore safer and healthier if you make special ice cream for dogs yourself.
Make ice cream for dogs yourself: what to look out for?
Would you like to make a dog ice cream yourself and now you are wondering which ingredients are suitable for it? So that there are no complaints, we explain below which foods are poisonous for dogs and which you can safely use for dog ice cream. Avocado, chocolate, grapes and nuts are absolutely taboo for our four-legged friends, as they have a hard time influencing the digestive and nervous systems. Milk is also often not well tolerated by dogs and can lead to severe diarrhea. Here it is advisable to use lactose-free milk or products that contain less lactose and milk sugar. These include, for example, Greek yogurt, quark or grainy cream cheese. And here are the best types of fruit that are wonderfully suitable for a fruity and healthy dog ice cream:
- Pineapple (overripe)
- Kiwi (only overripe)
- Melons (only overripe)
- Nectarines and peaches
Make dog ice cream yourself with peanut butter and bananas
Most dogs love peanut butter, and it’s often used as a treat. Although dog ice cream only consists of healthy ingredients, it should only be on the menu from time to time and given in moderation. It is best to start small and offer your four-legged friend smaller portions. Devouring too much ice can cause headaches and stomach upsets. And this is how easy it is to make a delicious ice cream for dogs yourself:
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 200 grams of Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp peanut butter with no added sugar
- For the preparation simply puree all ingredients in a blender until smooth, fill into small muffin cups and place in the freezer for at least 4 hours. If your dog is lactose intolerant, replace the Greek yogurt with coconut yogurt.
Make delicious melon cubes for dogs yourself
In summer, watermelon not only provides the perfect cooling for people, but also for dogs. The high fiber content and the potassium, vitamins A and C it contains support healthy digestion in four-legged friends. When preparing it, make sure that you only use the pulp – eating the seeds can lead to painful intestinal obstruction. To find out what your dog likes best, try this recipe with other types of fruit as well. It would work just fine with strawberries, raspberries, and honeydew melon, too.
- Core 300 grams of watermelon, cut into small pieces and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Puree the frozen watermelon with about 50 grams of natural yoghurt in a blender until you have a sorbet-like consistency.
Delicious and healthy: dog ice cream with oat flakes and cinnamon
Oatmeal for breakfast is a classic – and not just for people. They are also often mixed with vegetables and fruit in dog nutrition. Oatmeal is particularly suitable as a light food for gastrointestinal complaints. To make them easy for the dog to digest, you have to cook the oatmeal first. And here the dog ice cream recipe with oatmeal:
Ingredients for 6 servings:
- 1 small banana,
- 150 grams of fine oat flakes
- 280 grams of natural yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Boil the oatmeal in plenty of water for 10-15 minutes until it forms a porridge.
- Mash the banana with a fork and add to the oat flakes with the cinnamon. Mix well.
- Add yoghurt and mix everything into a creamy mixture.
- Freeze the mixture for at least 4 hours.
Make ice cream for dogs yourself with peanut butter and bacon
Dog ice cream with peanut butter and bacon? This is probably not something you would like to try, but believe us – your four-legged friend will love it!
Ingredients for 4-6 servings:
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 120 ml coconut milk
- 60 grams of peanut butter
- 2-3 strips of bacon
- Cut the bananas into small pieces and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Fry the bacon in a pan until crispy and cut into very small pieces.
- Puree the bananas, coconut milk and peanut butter in a blender until smooth.
- Add the bacon and mix well.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
Make your own dog ice cream with liver sausage or chicken broth
Is your dog not a fan of fruit? Then the following hearty recipes for dog ice cream are sure to hit its mark! It is best to use liver sausage for dogs or in organic quality and with as few additives as possible.
Liver sausage dog ice cream Ingredients for 4-6 servings:
- 100-120 grams of grainy cream cheese
- 60-70 grams of liver sausage
- some coconut oil
- For the preparation simply mix all ingredients well in a container and freeze for at least 2-3 hours. If necessary, you can easily mash the liver sausage with a fork.
Make your own dog ice cream with chicken:
- Bring 250 ml chicken broth with 150 grams of finely chopped chicken breast fillet to the boil. Put in a container and freeze for 4 hours.
- Depending on your mood, you can also cook carrots or other vegetables – that makes the hearty dog ice cream not only super refreshing, but also very healthy.