Refurbish or seal flat roofs? The EPDM roof membrane for a long-lasting roof covering
The flat roof is one of the most common roof shapes. Inexpensive and very practical, it is particularly suitable for city villas, garden houses, garages and roofs. All rooms have a high ceiling without sloping ceilings or niches. With this type of roof in particular, homeowners should pay very close attention to a qualitative design and have even small defects eliminated as quickly as possible. The consequences of a leaky roof are far-reaching and involve expensive repairs. Rainwater can not only damage the insulation, it can also lead to the formation of mold. We explain how you can renovate a flat roof and what you should pay attention to.
Refurbish or seal flat roofs? Roof covering with EPDM roof membrane
When it comes to a Roof renovation or waterproofing then there are several variants to choose from. Laying in two layers with bitumen is safe, but time-consuming. The liquid seal is durable, but must be carried out very precisely. the Laying an EPDM roof membrane is very simple in comparison. That is why the method with EPDM roofing membrane has successfully established itself in recent years and is enjoying increasing popularity. In contrast to bitumen waterproofing, installation is fairly straightforward. The special roof membrane is glued on one side directly onto the dry insulation layer. Above all, skill is required when laying. Experienced do-it-yourselfers can also master the task on their own. The roof membrane is installed in several simple steps:
1. The flat roof is cleaned thoroughly. Installation is only carried out on a clean sub-surface.
2. The tarpaulin is then laid out and cut to size if necessary, leaving a protrusion of at least 40 cm on the sides.
3. In the next step, the tarpaulin is folded in half once and a surface adhesive is applied to it with a paint roller. Leave about 20 cm of the edge free. There will Contact glue attached.
4. Then the half is glued, smoothing out air bubbles and wrinkles with a clean paint roller.
5. The same procedure is followed with the other half – fold over the roofing foil, apply plenty of surface adhesive, carefully place the foil on the roof and smooth it out with the paint roller.
6. Then the panels are glued with contact glue.
The EPDM roof membrane has a high elasticity and can stretch a little in the summer months. As a result, air bubbles or wrinkles can form, but they will disappear again in the winter months. It is entirely possible that the film will discolor over time. However, this is only a cosmetic flaw and will not affect the seal.
Refurbish or seal flat roofs?
Whether damage has to be sealed individually or the entire flat roof is renovated depends on several factors. Anyone who moves into a new building and recognizes minor damage in good time can have it sealed. Even a new house should therefore be checked every 4-5 months. It is also important that the roof’s thermal insulation is not damaged. The waterproofing should be carried out by an experienced professional and laid on a dry and clean roof.
However, anyone who buys an old building should have the roof checked thoroughly. If defects are found, it is advisable to renovate the entire flat roof. The costs that arise in this case are higher than with waterproofing. The investment definitely pays off, because a well-renovated roof also has a very long lifespan.