The low carb diet originally comes from the USA, but has also enjoyed great popularity in Germany in recent years. This type of diet is all about getting rid of carbohydrates from your eating plan. Would you like to lose a few pounds but are not sure where to start? What is low carb, what is allowed in this diet, what are the foods without carbohydrates – all this, as well as a lot of other useful information and many delicious and healthy recipes with low carbohydrates can be found in our article!
On average, you consume between 250-300 grams of carbohydrates per day. With a low carb diet, the intake of carbohydrates is usually reduced. But since they are a very important supplier of energy for the human body, you should not do without them completely. There is no specific answer to the question of how many carbohydrates per day or what you can eat on a low carb diet – you always have to decide for yourself. However, the basic rule is – it must not be more than 150 grams. It is therefore no great surprise that foods such as potatoes, pasta, bread or cakes may not be consumed at all or only in very small quantities. With low carb it is important to consume valuable fats, lots of protein and few carbohydrates.
Food without carbohydrates and what is called low carb?
In the low carb diet, foods rich in carbohydrates are mainly replaced by foods rich in protein and fat. But not all fat is the same – healthy fats, such as those contained in cheese, olive oil, avocado or fish, keep us full for a longer period of time. Before you completely change your diet, you should first be aware of what happens in your body after giving up carbohydrates. They are the main energy sources from which glucose is made, which serves as fuel for our muscles, nerves and brain. The missing energy that the body normally gets from them is taken from the existing fat reserves, which in turn leads to weight loss.
Low carb what is allowed and how many carbohydrates per day?
When it comes to low carb, what can you eat? Meals mainly consist of low-carbohydrate foods such as vegetables, meat, fish and dairy products. Sugar, cake or starchy foods such as bread, rice, potatoes and pasta are usually completely avoided. Since all light and fat-free products are very rich in sugar, they must also be removed from the menu. But what is low carb and how many carbohydrates are allowed in low carb depends on the respective variant of the diet.
- 100-150 grams of carbohydrates per day – This is still known as the “moderate” low carb diet and is the perfect choice for anyone who is active in sports and wants to lose a few pounds slowly but healthily. You can eat all kinds of vegetables you can imagine – including potatoes. You can treat yourself to one or two servings of fruit a day or rice and oatmeal in small quantities from time to time.
- 50-100 grams of carbohydrates per day – In this area, your insulin level always remains constant, which in turn stimulates fat burning.
- 20-50 grams of carbohydrates – This is where the metabolic benefits of a carbohydrate free diet are obtained. This is the perfect area for anyone who is severely overweight or who has diabetes. This form of low carb diet is also known as the keto diet. Your body goes into ketosis and supplies your brain with energy via the so-called ketone bodies, which leads to rapid weight loss. However, it is questionable whether this form of nutrition will work in the long term. With the ketogenic diet, you eat almost exclusively foods without carbohydrates, such as meat, cheese and low-carbohydrate vegetables.
What is low carb and what are carbohydrates?
Carbohydrates are also known as saccharides and consist of sugar molecules that are converted into glucose in the body and used as energy. As with fats, carbohydrates are also divided into different groups:
- Simple sugars – These include glucose and fructose. Glucose is still known as grape sugar and can be found in numerous beverages. Fructose, or fruit sugar, is found in all types of fruit.
- There is also the Double sugar and these include, above all, table sugar, milk sugar and malt sugar. These are mainly found in many sweets such as cakes and chocolate or in milk and dairy products. And as the name suggests, table sugar is used in just about every household – you put it in coffee or use it in baking. Double sugar causes the blood sugar level to rise very quickly, but it also falls again very quickly afterwards.
- To the Polysaccharides is one of the artificial sugar, also known as maltodextrin, which is found in crispbread and toast. The raffinose, which is found in all legumes such as lentils and beans, is also a multiple sugar.
- The valuable and long chain carbohydrates are called Polysaccharides designated. It’s found in foods like rice, potatoes, nuts, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, quinoa, fruits, vegetables, grains, and pasta. These are the healthy and good carbohydrates, the consumption of which one is saturated for a long time and the blood sugar level rises much more slowly. This is also the reason why we can particularly recommend a long-chain carbohydrate breakfast if you are on a low carb diet.
Low Carb What is Allowed? – This is how you can calculate net carbohydrates
So that you can calculate exactly how many low-carb carbohydrates you are consuming, we explain how to calculate the net carbohydrates that affect your blood sugar. Simply put, the net carbohydrates are the total carbohydrates minus the fiber and half the sugar alcohols. Here is an example:
A protein bar contains:
- 20 grams of total carbohydrates
- 10 grams of fiber
- 8 grams of sugar alcohols, such as erythritol and xylitol.
- So the net carbs that count for you are 20-10-4 = 6 grams of carbohydrates.
In the low carb diet, carbohydrate-free and low-carbohydrate foods are the most important thing. But for many people the questions arise: What does carbohydrates contain and where are carbohydrates in it? Below we have an extensive list and a lot of information for you for a diet without carbohydrates. Foods without carbohydrates are all products that contain less than 1 gram of usable carbohydrates per 100 grams. Here is an overview of the most important groups:
- Meat and poultry without breading and not processed
- Fish and seafood such as prawns, clams, and lobsters
Low carbohydrate foods Green vegetables such as spinach, salads, cucumbers, many types of cheese, avocado, berries and citrus fruits, nuts, kale, broccoli, yogurt and curd cheese.
List of foods without carbohydrates
In the following we have a detailed list for you for carbohydrates in meat per 100 grams:
|Minced meat, beef||0 grams|
|Minced meat, pork||0 grams|
|Minced meat, mixed||0.1 grams|
|pork meat||0 grams|
|wild boar||0 grams|
Vegetables without carbohydrates
Many vegetables such as lamb’s lettuce, spinach and sauerkraut contain almost no carbohydrates and are therefore the best choice for a low carb diet. In addition, they contain a lot of fiber, minerals and vitamins that are good for our health. However, there are some very starchy vegetables that are unsuitable for a carbohydrate-free diet. These include potatoes, sweet potatoes, and parsnips.
Below we have a list for you of low-carbohydrate vegetables per 100 grams:
|Bamboo shoots||0.3 grams|
|Chinese cabbage||1.2 grams|
|Iceberg lettuce||1.6 grams|
|Lamb’s lettuce||0.9 grams|
|Cabbage, white||3.07 grams|
|Cabbage, green||3 grams|
|Swiss chard||0.7 grams|
Sweet potato carbohydrates
Sweet potatoes are a real superfood and are very rich in beta carotene, which is converted into vitamin A in the body. Just 100 grams of the delicious vegetables cover your daily needs. In addition, they contain a lot of potassium, calcium, magnesium and vitamins C and E. That sounds great, but how many calories do sweet potatoes have and what about the carbohydrates?
100 grams of sweet potato contain:
- Calories: 86 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 20 grams
- of which sugar: 4.3 grams
- Protein: 1.6 grams
- Fat: 0.1 grams
Just like the sweet potato, corn is a starchy vegetable and despite the many health benefits it offers, it is not a carbohydrate-free food. However, corn has a low glycemic index and is gentle on blood pressure – for this reason one could say that it is one of the “good” carbohydrates. It is also very rich in fiber and antioxidants. So if you are not following a strict keto diet, we recommend that you incorporate the yellow-colored vegetables into your diet.
Nutritional values corn per 100 grams:
- Calories: 86
- Carbohydrates: 15.7 grams
- Protein: 3 grams
- Fat: 1.2 grams
- Dietary fiber: 8 grams
Carrots are a great and healthy workplace snack for a carbohydrate-free diet. They are low in calories and high in carotene – a precursor to vitamin A, which is of great importance for the immune system and eyesight. They are also very rich in potassium, calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium.
Carrots carbohydrates and nutritional values per 100 grams:
- Calories: 26
- Carbohydrates: 4.7 grams
- Protein: 1 gram
- Fat: 0.1 grams
- Dietary fiber: 3.9 grams
The tomato is the favorite vegetable of the Germans – on average, every person consumes around 25 kilograms of the red vegetable a year. The tomatoes are a very good source of 17 different vitamins, including vitamins C and K. They are also high in potassium, calcium, zinc, iron and essential amino acids. And how many carbohydrates do tomatoes have? Below are the nutritional values per 100 grams:
- Calories: 19 grams
- Carbohydrates: 3.5 grams
- of which sugar: 3.2 grams
- Protein: 0.8 grams
- Fat: 0.1 grams
- Dietary fiber: 1.3 grams
For face masks, mixed in drinks or in salads – the cucumbers are real all-rounders. They are also ideal for a no-carbohydrate diet. However, the most important nutrients are in and under the peel and for this reason it is best to enjoy them unpeeled.
Cucumber nutritional values per 100 grams:
- Calories: 13
- Carbohydrates: 1.8 grams
- Protein: 0.6 grams
- Fat: 0.2 grams
- Dietary fiber: 0.9 grams
Low in calories, high in fiber and vitamin C – paprika is a popular ingredient in many different low-carbohydrate dishes. However, depending on the color, peppers taste different. The red peppers have a slightly sweet taste and the green ones taste a bit bitter.
Bell pepper nutritional values per 100 grams:
- Calories: 32
- Carbohydrates: 6 grams
- of which sugar: 3.9 grams
- Protein: 1 gram
- Fat: 0.3 grams
Carbohydrate Free Foods – Other low-carb vegetables for your low carb diet
- Broccoli Carbohydrates – The green broccoli contains a lot of vital substances such as vitamins C, E and K as well as a lot of calcium, potassium, iron, zinc and magnesium. And with only about 2 grams of carbohydrates 100 grams should of course not be missing on the list of foods without carbohydrates.
- Mushrooms carbohydrates – Mushrooms are not only low in calories, they are also richer in protein than other vegetables such as spinach, for example. With only 0.4 carbohydrates per 100 grams, they are great for cooking without carbohydrates.
Rice carbohydrates and how many carbohydrates does bulgur have?
- Depending on the variety, the ingredients and nutritional values of rice also vary. But they all have something in common. They all contain an average of around 80 grams of carbohydrates. Because of this, they are unsuitable for a carbohydrate-free diet.
- Rice Cakes Carbohydrates – A rice waffle only provides around 30 calories and is a very popular low-calorie snack. However, with 6 grams of carbohydrates each, the rice cakes are not a good choice for a low carb diet.
- Bulgur carbohydrates – Bulgur is very rich in fiber, vegetable protein, as well as many vitamins and minerals and is considered to be much healthier than pasta or rice. Unfortunately, with 20 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams, it is not a low-carbohydrate food.
Nuts Carbohydrates and which nuts are best for weight loss?
Healthy and full of essential minerals and vitamins, nuts are without a doubt one of the best healthy, carbohydrate-free snacks. Since they are very high in fiber, the net carbohydrates are also very low. However, the nuts carbohydrates differ depending on the variety and not all are suitable for a low carb diet. In addition, with around 550-600 calories per 100 grams, they are not particularly low in calories – so it must not be more than a handful per day. In the following we have a detailed nut carbohydrate list per 100 grams for you:
- Cashew nuts carbohydrates – 8 grams of net carbohydrates
- Peanuts carbohydrates – 8.6 grams
- Hazelnuts carbohydrates – 2 grams
- Macadamia carbohydrates – 1 gram
- Almonds carbohydrates – 4 grams
- Brazil nut calories and carbohydrates – 656 calories and 1 gram of carbohydrates
- Pecans Carbohydrates – 1 gram of net carbohydrates
- Pistachio Carbohydrates – 4.7 grams
- Walnut carbohydrates – 1.9 grams
- Nuts for weight loss? – Although nuts are very high in calories, they are perfect for losing weight. They are rich in healthy, unsaturated fatty acids, which ensure a longer feeling of satiety and positively regulate blood sugar levels. So the answer to the question of whether you can lose weight healthily with nuts is definitely “yes”! All nuts and not just almonds help you lose weight!
- Does the flaxseed have any carbohydrates? – It’s no secret that flaxseeds are incredibly beneficial for our health. They contain lots of fiber and healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which are very important for the immune system and metabolism. In addition, they are very rich in vitamins E, B1 and B6, protein, zinc and magnesium. If you are looking for foods without carbohydrates, you can easily replace your oatmeal in muesli with flaxseed in the morning – they only provide us with 7 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams.
Carbohydrate Free Food – Which fruit is low in carbohydrates??
Fruit is healthy and full of healthy fiber and vitamins. However, most fruits contain a large amount of fructose, which makes them unsuitable for a low-carbohydrate diet. Which fruit is low in carbohydrates and more about fruit calories can be read in this article.
Cheese is not only delicious, but also a real vitamin and protein bomb. And the best news is – most cheeses are also non-carbohydrate foods. We have compiled a list of cheese carbohydrates and the most popular types for you below.
- Mountain cheese carbohydrates – 0 grams
- Blue cheese carbohydrates – 0 grams
- Brie carbohydrates – 0 grams
- Butter Cheese Carbohydrates – 0 grams
- Camembert carbohydrates – 0 grams
- Cheddar carbohydrates – 0 grams
- Emmental carbohydrates – 0 grams
- Cream cheese carbohydrates – 3 grams
- Gouda carbohydrates – 0 grams
- Cottage cheese carbohydrates – 2.6 grams
- Mozzarella carbohydrates – 0 grams
- Parmesan carbohydrates – 0 grams
- Sheep Cheese Carbohydrates – 0.5 grams
- Goat Cheese Carbohydrates – 0.2 grams
Which cheese for weight loss and how many carbohydrates has low-fat quark?
- Skimmed quark carbohydrates – With only 66 calories per 100 grams, skimmed quark is very popular among athletes and everyone who values a healthy and balanced diet. In addition, it only contains 4 grams of carbohydrates and 22 grams of protein and is therefore a very tasty low-carb food.
- Which cheese to lose weight? – Because of its high fat, sodium and calorie content, many people refrain from eating cheese. However, it’s also an excellent source of protein, calcium, and other nutrients, and can even help you lose weight. And these are the lowest calorie cheeses that are perfect for any diet:
|Butter cheese||240 calories|
|Feta cheese||203 calories|
|cottage cheese||103 calories|
|harzer cheese||131 calories|
|Goat cheese||330 calories|
Carbohydrates in meat
When it comes to foods without carbohydrates, the first thing that comes to mind is meat. No matter whether poultry, beef or pork – all of these are completely carbohydrate-free foods. Meat is also an excellent source of high quality protein and protein and very rich in iron. For a healthy diet, we recommend grilling, roasting or boiling the meat – frying it in oil or breading increases the calorie content.
- The chicken carbohydrates on 100 grams is zero and it also contains many important nutrients.
- Pork carbohydrates are also 0 grams. It is very rich in vitamins A, B and E as well as potassium, zinc and iron.
- Just like with chicken and pork, they are too Beef carbohydrates equals zero. It contains a lot of iron and vitamin B12 and ensures a longer feeling of satiety.
Food without carbohydrates – Bratwurst is low carb?
Bratwurst, Bockwurst, Weißwurst – sausages of all kinds are simply part of every barbecue in the summer months and are the favorite food of many Germans. But are they also healthy. But does sausage have carbohydrates? When buying sausage products, be sure to take a look at the label, as some contain sugar and other flavor enhancers. So that you have a better overview of whether sausages are really carbohydrate-free foods, we have put together the carbohydrate information per 100 grams of the most popular types for you:
- Bratwurst Carbohydrates – 0.2 grams
- Bockwurst carbohydrates – 0.3 grams
- Leberkäse carbohydrates – 0.4 grams
- Liver sausage, fine carbohydrates – 1.5 grams
- Mettwurst carbohydrates- 0.2 grams
- Salami carbohydrates – o, 1 gram
- Tea sausage carbohydrates – 0.3 grams
- Weisswurst – 0.3 grams
- Wiener sausages – 0.2 grams
Eggs are a real superfood and should not be missing on any menu. They are rich in vitamins B12, A, and B5 and are an excellent source of selenium, phosphorus, and folic acid. An egg consists entirely of protein and fat, which is why eggs are the perfect low-carb food when things have to go fast.
Eggs Nutritional values per 100 grams:
- Calories: 135
- Protein: 12.1 grams
- Carbohydrates: 1.3 grams
- Fat: 9.6 grams
How healthy is low carb?
There is still some debate as to whether or not carbohydrate-free food is healthy. In the following we will tell you which advantages and disadvantages a low carb diet has for our health.
- Lowering blood pressure – High blood pressure is a major risk factor for many diseases, including stroke, kidney failure and heart disease. All diets that reduce the consumption of carbohydrates and recommend the consumption of many healthy fats and oils, such as avocado, olive oil and coconut oil, have a positive effect on blood pressure.
- Low carb for diabetes – Since diabetics are allowed to consume little or no sugar, a “no carbohydrate diet” is ideal for them. But since meat also increases the risk of developing diabetes, it should only be consumed in moderation.
- Reduces the risk of heart attack – The fatty molecules triglycerides significantly increase the risk of a heart attack. According to many new studies, a diet without carbohydrates helps lower triglyceride levels.
Unfortunately, however, a diet that consumes few or no carbohydrates also has many disadvantages:
- Deficiency of many vitamins and nutrients – With a low carb diet, fruit is almost completely eliminated from the menu. And while most fruits are full of fructose, they are also a very important source of many minerals and vitamins. To avoid a vitamin deficiency, we recommend that you consume a lot of vegetables.
- Since the excessive consumption of meat, fish, dairy products and eggs has an acidic effect on us, it could unfortunately lead to one Hyperacidity come, which is responsible for many other complaints. These include fatigue, poor performance, migraines, nervousness and chronic skin conditions.
- Clogging of the arteries in pregnant women or people with cardiovascular problems due to the increased consumption of fat and protein.
- In the first few weeks during the conversion phase, you could also Muscle cramps, nausea and severe headache appear.
Cooking without carbohydrates – Lots of delicious low carb recipes
Now that we have given you a thorough understanding of the carbohydrate-free foods, we have some carbohydrate-free suggestions for you. And since the typical German breakfast mostly consists of bread and jam, our first recipe is for rolls with little carbohydrates.
Low Carbohydrate Bun Ingredients:
- 130 grams of almond flour
- 40 grams of almonds, ground
- 25 grams of sesame seeds
- 20 grams of psyllium husks
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 270 ml of boiling water
And this is how it is done:
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Put the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the egg whites and stir everything together.
- Slowly stir in the boiling water and then add the cream cheese.
- Shape everything into a dough and place the rolls on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Bake for about 60 minutes.
Carbohydrate Free Foods- Ideas for Zero Carb Snacks
In the following we have two very simple and extremely tasty ideas for snacks without carbohydrates for you:
- Low carb chips made from salami – For this you need 100 grams of thinly sliced salami and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Place the salami slices on a baking sheet, drizzle them with the olive oil and then bake them for about 20-25 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Cheddar cheese chips without carbohydrates is prepared exactly like the recipe above – cut very thin slices of Cheddar cheese and bake them to 150 grams until golden brown for about 30-35 minutes.
Low carb chips substitute
Something to nibble in front of the TV is simply part of it, which is why we have the perfect recipe for delicious chips that consists entirely of low-carb foods.
- 100 grams of almond flour or ground almonds
- 150 grams of mozzarella
- Your choice of spices
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Cut the mozzarella into small pieces and melt together with the remaining ingredients in a pan over low heat.
- Knead the dough well with your hands and roll it out as thinly as possible between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Cut small pieces, place on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes.
Many vegetables are also perfect for carbohydrate-free chips. Chips made from kale, courgette, cucumber and carrots, for example, are particularly crispy and tasty. The procedure is the same for all of them:
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Cut the vegetables into very thin slices.
- Drizzle with about 1 teaspoon of olive oil and season with your choice of spices.
- Spread the vegetable chips on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Turn and bake for another 10 minutes.
Recipe meatballs without carbohydrates
- 600 grams of minced meat, mixed
- 1 large onion
- 1 egg
- 20 grams of mustard, medium hot
- some parsley, fresh and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Cut the onion into small pieces and place in a large bowl along with the remaining ingredients except for the olive oil and mix everything well.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the meatballs on medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side.
Carbohydrate-free foods – delicious egg-free meatballs with cottage cheese
- 1 kilogram of minced meat, mixed
- 250 grams of low-fat quark
- 3 tbsp parmesan, grated
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- Parsley, fresh and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper
This is how it’s done:
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and knead well.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and fry the meatballs in it.
Food Without Carbohydrates – Ideas For Breading Low Carb
Schnitzel is another favorite dish of most Germans and so that you don’t have to do without this delicious dish, we give you some ideas for low carb breading that work just as well as conventional breadcrumbs.
- Almond flour or ground almonds
- Coconut flakes
- Coconut flour
- Ground flaxseed
- crumbled pork crusts
Pizza low in carbohydrates
Yes, you read that right – even pizza is low carb and tastes just as good, if not a little better! The first recipe is for a low-carb, low-fat, tuna-base pizza.
- 2 cans of tuna
- 3 tbsp almond flour
- 2 eggs, size M
- Tomato sauce for spreading
- 80 grams of grated mozzarella
- Vegetables of your choice for topping
- Salt, pepper and fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Mix the tuna with the almond flour and the eggs to a smooth batter.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and spread thinly on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Then bake for about 8-10 minutes.
- Cover the pizza base with tomato sauce and vegetables, sprinkle with the mozzarella and bake for another 10 minutes.
Delicious carbohydrate-free pizza with cauliflower base
The cauliflower is a real all-rounder in the world of low carb dishes and our next recipe is clear proof of that.
- 700 grams of cauliflower
- 150 grams of parmesan, grated
- 1 egg, size L.
- Your choice of spices
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Put the cauliflower florets in a powerful blender and chop until they have a rice consistency.
- Fry the cauliflower rice in a pan at medium temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Roll out thinly between two baking papers and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, cover with the desired ingredients and then bake for another 10 minutes.
Recipe for low-carbohydrate chocolate
Nuts, nougat, whole milk or dark chocolate – there is hardly anyone who does not love chocolate! Does chocolate have carbohydrates you wonder? Unfortunately, now that the treat is mostly sugar, the answer is “yes”. If you are one of those people who cannot or cannot do without chocolate, then our next recipe for low carb chocolate is just right for you!
- 100 grams of cocoa butter
- 50 grams of cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 30 grams of erythritol
This is how it’s done:
- Melt the cocoa butter in a pan, stirring constantly.
- Add cocoa powder and erythritol and continue stirring.
- If you wish, you can now add some nuts.
- Either fill in a chocolate mold or spread on a small baking pan lined with baking paper.
- Freeze for 10 minutes and enjoy!
Pastries without carbohydrates
Christmas will be in just 2 months! And what would Christmas be without delicious cookies ?! You can nibble as much as you want from the juicy and extremely tasty low-carb gingerbread that we have for you!
- 200 grams of hazelnuts, ground
- 60 grams of almonds, chopped
- 50 grams of chopped hazelnuts
- 3 eggs
- 120 grams of erythritol
- 1 teaspoon of water
- 1 teaspoon potash
- half packet of gingerbread spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 100 chocolate with 90% cocoa
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and dissolve the potash in the water.
- The eggs sleep stiffly. Add the erythritol and the potash. Mix with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Mix all dry ingredients together and add to the egg mixture.
- Process the mixture into a dough with a hand mixer.
- Shape into small balls and spread on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Press flat and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool down completely.
- Meanwhile, let the chocolate melt in a water bath while stirring constantly.
- Cover the gingerbread with the chocolate, allow to cool and enjoy!