The balsa wood is a soft and elastic wood material that can be easily bent and has various uses. It’s cheap, easy to cut, dye, glue … almost anything that comes to mind. A great material for creating decorative items that have a modern look and require few tools. Today we’re introducing you to a creative balsa wood handicraft project – like you make a lampshade yourself can. With just a few strips of balsa wood and a hot glue gun, you can beef up this simple lampshade in minutes. No complicated braiding technique is needed here, but it looks very professionally made.
Make your own lampshade – braid strips of balsa wood
The balsa wood has a pleasant, light color and stands out particularly nicely against the dark blue wall. The light blue lamp base serves as a further accent. This project will take you no more than 20 minutes, but it will definitely be fun.
Make your own lampshade – materials required
– an old lampshade
– Balsa wood strips (different amounts depending on the length / width of the lampshade. Buy extra because you would need more than you think. The balsa wood should be super thin and pliable)
– Hot glue gun and glue sticks
1. Line the top and bottom of the lampshade.
2. Then add several strips by tucking their ends into the other pieces. Wrap the strips in such a way that there is a little space between them and that they don’t stand completely flat against the lampshade.
3. Keep adding strips until the bottom lampshade is no longer visible.
4. Glue here or there so that there are no loose ends.