Numerous actors, athletes and celebrities swear by the low carb diet. The nutrition plan promises a slim figure in just two weeks. Mainly low-carbohydrate foods are eaten and accordingly low-carbohydrate dishes are prepared. A low carb smoothie brings variety to the diet. Diet fans mostly consume the low carb smoothie between meals. However, some recipes are also suitable as a substitute for breakfast or even for dinner. We will give you an overview of the variants and explain which ingredients are suitable and how you can combine them with one another. Learn more about the basic principles of healthy eating and learn how you can create a balanced diet plan yourself!
Low carb smoothie with a high protein content: what does the shake do??
To understand the concept of a high-protein, low-carb diet, we need to examine the two terms carefully.
Low Carb Diet: The term “low carb” describes foods and dishes with a low carbohydrate content. It’s not about completely giving up carbohydrates. After all, they fulfill an important function as energy suppliers. However, in most cases the carbohydrate intake exceeds the carbohydrate consumption. Then the body converts the carbohydrates into fat and stores them for “bad times”. The low carb diet helps to keep the intake within reasonable limits (between 30 g and 50 g daily) and instead supplies the organism with other useful nutrients. Especially with shakes, extra attention is paid to a low fructose content.
Proteins, also known as proteins, are the building blocks of the body’s cells. The muscles in particular are largely made up of proteins. Typically, the amount of protein in your daily calorie intake varies between 10% and 35%. For a diet plan with 2000 calories per day, 50 g to 175 g protein per day is adequate. Foods such as chicken, eggs, seafood, beans, tofu, broccoli, peppers, cucumbers and lettuce must therefore be consumed on a daily basis.
Conclusion: The low carb diet with a high protein content in combination with exercise can reduce body fat and help build muscle.
But why have low carb smoothies become an important part of the low-carb diet? There are several reasons that speak for it:
1. If you want to follow the diet, you have to prepare three dishes a day. Experts advise making a plan for the next week at the weekend and then shopping two or three times a week. So you always have fresh food at home. But if you don’t have enough time to shop in the hectic pace of everyday life, or are too tired to cook in the evening, you need a healthy alternative. Low carb smoothies are quick to prepare and filling.
2. You can add variety to the menu with a shake. Well thought-out recipes contain many healthy ingredients and thus ensure a balanced diet.
3. If you don’t have time to prepare lunch at home in the morning, you can mix smoothies to take away. They turn out to be a good alternative to the canteen.
Low carb smoothie: what are the disadvantages of the shake?
Low carb smoothies taste delicious, are healthy and keep the body fit. But the shake also has disadvantages. We give you an overview of:
1. When creating a diet plan, many people focus only on the results they want. In order to reach your dream weight faster and then keep it, drastically reduce your carbohydrate intake. The one-sided diet quickly leads to a lack of important nutrients, which has a negative impact on health.
Others resort to foods that are said to help build muscle. A protein-rich diet will only help you tone your muscles if it is combined with the right training. Otherwise the proteins are quickly converted into fat.
Only a balanced diet in combination with exercise ensures optimal results.
2. Smoothies cannot replace a complete meal in the long run. If you want to keep your dream figure, you can replace breakfast with a green smoothie two or three times a week. To lose weight, a smoothie can also be prepared in the evening for two to three weeks. Otherwise, the delicious drink is more suitable as a delicious and healthy variant for in between.
3. A low carb smoothie has a low satiety effect. That’s because a shake is consumed like a drink. However, it contains enough calories for a complete meal. In contrast, fruits and vegetables are chewed, which triggers satiety signals in the stomach.
4. Store-bought smoothies, like juices, can contain preservatives or fructose. So if you want to eat healthily, you should mix your shake yourself.
5. Weight loss shakes are a matter of taste. Even fans of green smoothies find the low carb variants too monotonous. We have selected several recipes with low carb fruits that taste really sweet. If you need a change, you have little choice. This is because most fruits contain fructose (i.e. carbohydrates).
Low carb smoothie: which fruits and vegetables are suitable?
Choosing the right ingredients plays a crucial role in the preparation of the low carb smoothie. The following fruits are allowed for weight loss smoothies: apricot, avocado, all kinds of berries, citrus fruits such as orange and lime, peach and watermelon. They contain less than 15 g of carbohydrates per 100 g of fruit. So if you want to taste your green shake, you can choose between the varieties mentioned above.
Fruits with a medium carbohydrate content include apples, pineapples, pears, kiwi, grapes and cherries. They contain up to 25 g of carbohydrates per 100 g of fruit. This is where the right amount counts: These varieties are great for seasoning green smoothies.
Broccoli, iceberg lettuce, endive lettuce, radicchio, cucumber, celery, paprika, spinach, zucchini, asparagus, tomatoes, beetroot, eggplant, Brussels sprouts and dandelions contain less than 10 g of carbohydrates per 100 g of vegetables and can therefore be eaten without hesitation during a low carb diet will.
Preparing a low carb shake: what to watch out for?
A low carb shake consists of several components. The ingredients that can be consumed without hesitation form the so-called basis. A weight loss smoothie therefore often consists of up to 60% green leafy vegetables and herbs. Fruits, Greek yogurt and any other sugary foods make up the remaining 40%. For example, dairy products are being replaced by almond or coconut milk.
The shake is popular because of its thick consistency. If you do without water completely, you can even serve it in a bowl and eat it with a spoon. Basically, the following rule of thumb applies: the thicker the consistency, the more intense the taste.
Low Carbe Smoothie Recipes: Orange Vanilla Shake for Breakfast
The first sweet temptation will provide you with the necessary energy. With this creamy, fresh taste you are guaranteed to start the day in a good mood! Here are the ingredients for the orange-vanilla shake:
1 cup of Greek yogurt
3 tbsp almond milk
30 g chia seeds
1 1/4 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 medium orange
1/2 tbsp orange peel
4 ice cubes to dilute
3 tbsp heavy cream to taste
Preparation: Put all ingredients in the blender and puree finely. Serve chilled.
Serving the low carb smoothie bowl in the evening: recipe with spinach, avocado and ginger
The next recipe is for everyone who likes to indulge in a filling smoothie every now and then in the evening. The combination of mango, avocado, ginger and spinach brings an exotic touch to the table. Since it has a thick consistency, you can also serve the shake in a bowl.
Ingredients and preparation:
200 g spinach
100 g broccoli
1/4 carrot (optional),
1/2 tbsp matcha tea,
1 tbsp ginger, grated
2-3 mint leaves
1/4 tbsp horseradish
Fruit and milk to taste:
1/2 mango, diced
1 avocado, pitted, peeled. Cut half into slices
2-3 tbsp coconut milk
Preparation: Rinse the herb-vegetable mix under running water, purée finely in the mixer at the highest level and set aside. Finely puree half of the avocado together with the orange and coconut milk and add to the herb-vegetable mix. Mix on a low level. Garnish with the diced mango and the slices of avocado and serve in a bowl.
Low carb smoothie bowl with pineapple, sea buckthorn and orange
The next creamy suggestion tastes fruity and is extremely filling. The vitamin bomb is perfect for in between meals or to take with you to the office and is also suitable for vegans.
100 g pineapple
1 sea buckthorn
1-2 tbsp desiccated coconut
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Optional: 1 teaspoon of chia seeds
Preparation: Wash vegetables and fruits, puree them finely and garnish with the chia seeds and desiccated coconut and serve in a bowl. The smoothie tastes best when cooled. You can keep it in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Green low carb smoothie with spinach and parsley
Spirulina and Co. play the main role in the next recipe. The next green smoothie gives you a freshness kick in the afternoon and supplies your body with important vitamins. You can also prepare it in the evening and then take it with you to the office in the morning.
1/2 medium pear
4 medium-sized kale leaves
2 handfuls of spinach
1 handful of parsley
1 medium lemon, peeled
1 tbsp spirulina
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cucumber (optional, to be thinned)
Preparation: Wash all the ingredients, put them in the blender and puree them finely. Serve chilled, store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Low carb smoothies not only taste delicious, they are also really healthy. Provided that they are part of a balanced diet. Then they bring variety to the menu and can replace breakfast from time to time. Since they are mostly only made from fruit and vegetables (sometimes almond milk is also added), they are also suitable for vegans. In summer they are diluted with ice cubes, in winter, on the other hand, a creamy consistency is preferred. They can even be served in a bowl. In the USA, the so-called bowl smoothies are therefore very popular.