The situation with the corona virus is getting more and more serious every day and many adults and families inevitably have to stay at home and avoid social contacts. Schools, kindergartens, cafes, fitness studios are closed and visits and excursions are out of the question. That’s when most start to wonder what to do with all the time. For all of us, our free time looks very different – traveling, theater, walks or vacation, but unfortunately the risk of infection is too great during such a crisis. So how about we try to make the most of it and use the quarantine time wisely? Whether it’s spring cleaning, fun games with the kids or learning something new – in this article you will find lots of great ideas for things to do at home.
Arguing, moaning and racking your brain are useless – the corona virus has completely changed the lives of all of us. Before we can return to normal everyday life, we have to overcome fear, change our activities and habits and adapt them to the current situation. In addition to watching TV or playing games on your mobile phone, you can try to use your time much more sensibly and devote yourself to different things and activities that unfortunately often come up short.
Occupation at home – watching series and films against boredom
It doesn’t matter whether you live alone or are locked up at home with your family and children – watching series and films is the ultimate tip against boredom at home. If you still don’t have an account with one of the many streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc., now is the right time to sign up. Watch all seasons of your favorite series without feeling guilty? Now, make yourself comfortable on the sofa and do it. Or how about a Harry Pother marathon with the kids? Another great alternative to streaming services are YouTube videos. From documentaries to funny videos with dogs – you can find absolutely everything on YouTube.
Tips against boredom – Many museums offer online visits
Unfortunately, things are also not looking good for many who are interested in culture and art – numerous museums and theaters are closed and most events have been canceled. Have you always dreamed of visiting the Louvre in Paris? Then we have good news for you! Some of the most famous museums in the world not only offer guided tours, but also offer free online tours. In addition to the Louvre, it also includes the NASA Space Center in Houston, the British Museum in London and the MOMA in New York City.
Read books or learn something new
Everyone has them – all those books that have been in the closet for years, waiting to be read, waiting to be read. Reading is a very popular activity at home that doesn’t even require you to get out of bed. If you want to use the quarantine time even more effectively, you can learn a new language, for example. There are numerous free mobile phone apps that can help you with this. Or read some useful articles on an exciting topic that interests you.
More ideas and tips against boredom during quarantine
- Cleaning and mucking out the apartment – There is hardly a better time to spruce up your apartment and do the annual spring cleaning. Use your free time and make all rooms shine. Cleaning windows, washing curtains, tidying up the cellar or mucking out the wardrobe – a great and sensible pastime that is totally satisfying and relaxing.
- Handcraft is another great thing to do at home that is a lot of fun. The possibilities here are literally endless and there is something for everyone. In addition, it has been scientifically proven that handicrafts promote our stamina, concentration and creativity. Get creative and make your own spring decorations or bring the old furniture to life by spicing it up and freshening it up.
- Wellness at home – How often have you made up your mind to treat yourself to a relaxing day of wellness and unfortunately you have never gotten around to it? Such pampering is not only good for the body but also for the soul and is a great way to pass the time at home, especially during the quarantine. Let in the bath water, turn on the music, light scented candles and enjoy a glass of wine – that doesn’t sound like a dream?
- Home Workout – For anyone used to exercising regularly in the gym or outdoors, it will be hard to do without. However, a well-planned home workout can be just as effective and exhausting as a visit to the gym. There are tons of fitness exercises at home that don’t even require special equipment.
- Cook – You have to eat even during the quarantine. If you are a hobby cook, then you should take advantage of the current situation and devote yourself to your passion. Develop your creativity and spoil your family with new and delicious dishes. Let the children peel the vegetables and cut them into small pieces – this way they will teach you something useful and at the same time have a good time together.
- Try new hairstyles and make-up looks – Just because you have to work from home doesn’t mean you have to stay in your pajamas all the time. Try new make-up looks or finally learn again how to braid your hair and conjure up great hairstyles. A suitable home office outfit also increases our productivity and ensures that we look good in our own four walls.
- Make a tax return – Yes, it’s actually not fun and it is always postponed because there is something nicer or more important to do. Even if the tax return does not have to be filed until July 31, why not use the time at home and just get this tedious task over with?
- Maintain contacts – How long have you not been on the phone with your grandma and a friend who lives abroad? In the stressful everyday life, we often don’t have time to keep in touch with our loved ones and now you can catch up on that in peace.
- Help the neighbors – In a crisis in particular, it is very important to stick together and help each other. If you have neighbors who are old or who cannot get out of the house for reasons below, suggest that they go shopping for you or do something else.
Use the quarantine period sensibly
None of our suggestions particularly appeal to you or do you still need a few cool and creative ideas against boredom? We have compiled a list of further tips for you below.
- Make a list of all the concerts, football matches and events you want to attend once the quarantine period is over.
- Plan your next vacation in peace.
- Organize your books or spices alphabetically.
- Learn origami.
- Try to get things done with your non-dominant hand. Be it brushing your teeth, writing or eating – it’s incredibly fun.
- Make a list of things you are grateful for and take the time to think about it. What have you achieved in the last year? Or what are your goals for this year?
- Update your resume.
- Organize a happy hour at home and mix different cocktails.
- Take turns reading the Harry Potter books with your children and watch the corresponding film after each book.
- Write a book with your family. Each Mitglich writes a chapter about his character’s adventures and then reads it out loud.
- Take a deep breath and just enjoy the boredom for a short moment. Who says we have to do something all the time in order to feel good and useful?
Great ideas for things to do at home with the kids
Schools and kindergartens are also currently closed. Because of this, a lot of parents need to get creative and keep their children busy at home. Since just playing on the computer is out of the question, we have some great tips for the whole family against boredom!
- Play hide and seek is a great home activity for families who live in a large house.
- Treasure hunt – Hide an object and let the child find it.
- Handcraft is a great way to keep the kids busy for a few hours.
- Organize a concert – Everyone dresses up as their favorite singer and starts singing and dancing. The good mood is simply guaranteed!
- The ground is playing lava – Everyone must move so that they don’t touch the ground. Although this game will cause some clutter in the apartment, it is still funny.
- Play role change – When your children are big enough, try switching roles for a day or a few hours. In other words, you are the kids who make the mess, and so on, and the kids do their chores and have to prepare lunch or dinner. A great activity at home to show the children that being a parent is not an easy task.
- Taste Game – Blindfold the kids, cut different foods into small pieces and let them guess what they are eating.
- Organize a movie night
- To paint
- Coloring eggs – after all, it will soon be Easter
- Bake cakes and cookies together
- to play board games
- Have a pillow fight
- Make jigsaw puzzle
- Let the nursery tidy up